Great news, I got the results of my MRI back and have no tears in my Achilles....which means... IM BACK IN ACTION! The week before last I got back into my 8mi a day routine. My mom convinced me that I had to do a long run ASAP as the run is getting close so last Saturday I did my longest run..ever.
I ran 23 miles around Boston, in about 3hrs and 15 minutes. Throughout the run I was motivated to keep going by the thoughts of the amazing students and my amazing friends/supporters who have contributed through donations and encouragement to this effort. Not wanting to let you all down has motivated me beyond expectations and I am so appreciative for all of you.
The 23 miler actually didn't feel that awful. Did I enjoy it? ermm no. Am I glad I did it? yes--because now I am convinced that I can do the marathon--I may not get a great time but my goal is just to keep running...if I can do that, that will be success!
This weekend I tapered and did a 14 miler in NY, admittedly this felt more difficult than the longer run the weekend before. I think a reason for this was that 1. I didn't eat right the day before (think nachos, tacos, pizza yum) 2. I hadn't gotten much sleep in the week due to work 3. I didn't hydrate appropriately 4. NY is much much more hilly than Boston--i cursed my way up all of those hills!!
On the health front, I now have a knee issue in addition to an ankle issue, and I get foot cramps all the time--its okay though--3 more weeks and then I can chillax/recuperate!
Running insights:
- Watch out when doing the "run on your toes technique", I know I advised yall to do this in an earlier post for speed, but I think making that switch from running with my entire foot to running on the balls of my feet is what caused my ankle and knee issues--so moderate running on your toes until you have the strength built up in your ankles to support that--I don't yet have this strength but one day hopefully I will--I learned this lesson the hard way :(
- Powerade/Gatorade are your friends: I am officially addicted to these overly sugared cold drinks post run they do an amazing job of re hydrating and energizing you. I recommend this to everyone--these drinks save me so much pain and agony post run!
- A race is not a race...its a run: While running don't try to "beat" those running around you. The temptation is there, you always think "I can go a little bit faster and pass that person", but in reality that can trip you up and cause you to over exert yourself. Run your own race, ignore people around you, congratulate those who pass you, encourage those you pass and you will have a good run--that's the philosophy I try to abide by for a good run and that's what I'll be thinking during the marathon (in addition to thinking about why I'm doing the race: ALA/supporters)
I am working hard to meet my goal to raise $3,000 for African Leadership Academy, as we enter the last 4 months before the run, please contribute if you are able!
http://www.africanleadershipfoundation.org/marathondonate_maryanna.asp
Inspirational quotes/ moment of zen:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the looting started. - Anon
Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
- Peter Ustinov
The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money. - David Richerby
Check out the website of ALA student William Kamkwamba who just published his book about his life, very inspirational! http://williamkamkwamba.typepad.com/
(PS: Pic above from box seats at the Patriots/ Falcons game with my Audax analyst class--such a fun game!)
No comments:
Post a Comment