Sunday, October 25, 2009

Heartbreak hill

Hey sportsfans,

I know it has been a while since I last posted, so today I am going to do a doubleheader. Post #1= the post I owe yall from last week (written of course as if I wrote it last week), post #2 is from this week.

Okay, so today is erm..Sunday...of last week, Oct. 18th.

On weekends I try to get in a longer run as through the week im only able to average 5-8mi's in the AM. Yesterday rather than run the typical Charles River Run I changed things up a bit and decided to go see what all this hoopla was about heartbreak hill. I ended up running the last ~7-8 miles of the Boston marathon, from my apt to the base of heartbreak hill in Newton/Brighton then back up the hill and in to Boston. I wasn't sure if i would be able to recognize heartbreak hill when i got there but believe me...i knew if when i saw it! To be honest its not the most difficult hill I've encountered the world (that honor belongs to the drakensburg mountains in SA...oh such painful memories), but it is LONG---the hill is about 1.5 miles, the end of the hill is the steepest part and when runners encounter it, they wil have run ~20 miles already....talk about brutal!

On a related note, while running I think a lot about random things. One thing that popped up recently which I was chatting about with a friend (KT) is this idea that it is so much easier to let your self down than it is to let others down. Honestly, if there weren't so many stakeholders in this marathon beyond myself...I likely would have taken the training down a notch by now. This thinking is true with so many things--work, school, home responsibilities etc. I wish that i could say that I have the personal fortitude to balance out that thinking but being honest with myself, for me that statement holds true.

As for other other things...
  • thinking about heading to Dartmouth this weekend for homecoming

  • went to the Patriots game today...it was snowing....the P's slaughtered the Titans 59-0, luckily I was able to go through my Audax teams and didn't have to weather the elements in outdoor seats at the game! (yes that pic is of a football field...not a hockey rink!)



  • busy week ahead of me at work--but I'm enjoying what I'm learning here, the things this company accomplishes are amazing!

  • got to enjoy the company of one Fadzi Makanda this weekend-was awesome to see her now that she is finished with the stress of the last few weeks!

until next time....

-mvq

No comments:

Post a Comment